Fear of Uncertainity

   The fear of uncertainty is real. Since the beginning of senior year, that is about two months ago, there is no day I don't imagine what my life after graduation would be. I feel like the tension hit me most during the business career fair. It was only a few weeks after we resumed, and job deadlines were due or fast approaching. I heard my friends talk about how they already have Full-Time offers from companies they interned for this summer. I also heard other friends talk about the many upcoming interviews they had. At that point, I knew I had to quit slacking, get my resume ready, and start applying to jobs. I am still on the job search, but I believe I have come a long way from the first day of Senior year. I have grown from limiting my options of working in a consulting company to applying to different companies where I can contribute my analytical skills. Now, I would describe in the next few paragraphs how I have made decisions with the hope of it paying off..

   My dream school after High school was University of Michigan Flint. I didn't know anyone that attended the school, but I just wanted a school far away from home. I remember applying and getting accepted. I was excited about going to the school till my cousin convinced my dad about how much money I can save from first attending a community college. I was skeptical at first, and the idea made me sad, but after a while I began to see his points. His main concern was the possibility of me finding it hard to transitioned to a big school especially since I completed my high school education in Nigeria. So, I started my college education at a community college in Chicago. It was close to home, and since it was a commuter school it was easy to move around. I worked hard because I wanted to transfer to a good school. I also had advisors and mentors that saw great potential in me. I was passionate about going into the business field, and I started off taking classes tailored to that. My advisors made sure I was on track by taking only relevant classes that would transfer to any school I wished to go. I also took summer classes to speed up my process. I completed my associate degree in the span of two years earning an associate in arts and a basic certificate in Accounting.

  I was glad the first few years had worked out, but I wasn't sure what school I wanted to transfer to. At this point, I was no longer keen on schooling out of state, so my options were tied down to schools in Illinois. I chose to major in Economics because of how much I loved the micro and macro classes I took in High School and Community College. I also like the diversity of the major that allows one combine business and  statics which ultimately open doors to various job opportunities. I was excited about the major because it allowed me to think critically as I gain understanding of how people behave, and the global economy as a whole. For why I chose to the University of Illinois, it was the best among my top choices. Although Economics is not in the business school, I wanted an opportunity where I can have a solid business foundation since I plan on getting an MBA in the long run. In terms of finances, University of Illinois gave me the most money on my financial aid package which resulted in me not having to borrow any loan. At that point, I did not need anyone to convince me that University of Illinois was my chosen school.

   My transition from a school with about 1000 students to a big campus of about 40,000 students was difficult at first, but I had to figure things out fast myself. One thing I had in mind and still do till this day is that I have only two years to make a difference and reach my full potentials in this school. I was determined during Quad day to sign up for student organizations that I can make a meaningful impact in. Thankful, I had great experience from my community college in student organizations where I was the vice-president of African Student Organization (ASO) and an active member of the Phi Theta Kappa honors society. So, it wasn't a challenge to jump right in to organizations here. I remember applying to be the secretary of UIUC ASO just a couple weeks after I transferred here.I got elected for the position, and that increased my confidence to try other organizations. I joined the Illinois Women in Economics (IWIE) where I served as a member of the special project committee. This gave me the opportunity to work on different about projects that involved researching funds for after school programs, researching way to help uninsured HIV/AIDS patients find funding, just to mention a few. My drive for personal and professional development also made me join the Illinois Leadership Certificate Program which I plan to complete this semester.

  Between the one year I spent at Illinois, I have quickly been able to develop myself and not let the fact that I transferred as a junior hinder me. Last summer, I was a security analyst intern where I researched and analyzed data provided by the Chicago Police Department for on-campus crimes at Daley College for the Clery Act Statistics for 2015. This summer I was a student co-coordinator intern where I analyzed student records and applications to improve Fall 2017 enrollment, and implement strategies to make student application user friendly. Currently, I am an intern for the YWCA Women in Leadership Program where I am working with five other students to expand the YMCA, New American Welcome Center by helping immigrants and new comers fully integrate into the United States. I have elevated my leadership roles as I am now the financial secretary for ASO, and external chair for IWIE. Although my current internship is not paid, neither have I worked in a corporate world, I have worked hard to gain skills and experiences that would make me as qualified or even more qualified than my peers. Holding these leadership positions can be tasking at times especially combining it with school, but knowing that all these would make the end result worth it has helped me move forward on days I thought I wanted to quit.

  In terms of knowing someone that has taken the risk and learning from them, I haven't really had the direct opportunity. My parents work in the medical field, so it is hard to ask for business type advice. I have a sister who is working towards getting admitted into law school. As for friends, most of them are seniors in college concerned about the fear of unknown, just like me. I remain very optimistic about a bright future, and I hope all the risks I have taken and would continue to take would pay off in the long run. I am excited about what the future holds in terms of where my career takes me to.


---------------
I got excited writing this post because I know very soon I would read it again, and be able to say "Yes, the risk paid off". I am also hoping I would be able to share the good news of getting a desired full-time job in a subsequent post.

Comments

  1. When you do get a job offer, we can have a little celebration in class. I was planning on doing that anyway, in the not too distant future.

    I didn't fully process your story. Did your family move from Nigeria to the U.S. right after you graduated from high school? Or did you take some time off before starting college?

    Then where you said you wanted a school far from home, I can understand not wanting to live with your parents after high school. I had that desire. But if you were comparatively new to living the U.S., I don't know on what you would base your preference about where to go to college. I gather you have some relatives (your cousin for one) who lives near your family. Did they have college experiences you could tap into?

    The idea of two years of community college followed by two years at a university has become increasingly popular, for the reasons you identify - to hold down the amount of tuition the family must pay. But as you suggest things then get kind of jammed during your junior year, when in some sense transfer students like you are just getting started. I wonder if there is some way to ease that transition.

    It does sound as if you've found relevant experience in your internships and other activities outside of classes. As I wrote in response to another student's post, there is a question of whether potential employers can understand the value in your having such experience. If they can't, the benefit for you might not show up in the first job you get, but might pay off later. I wish that more students in writing these posts could imagine income risk continuing after the initial job was obtained and how that might be impacted by decisions you are making now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am hoping we can all have that small celebration soon enough as offers typically come in at the end of this month/November.

    My dad moved down to the U.S for work about 17 years ago. So he had been living in Chicago almost all through my life. My sister and I moved down right after high school for college. I think the desire not to live at home was because I had experienced living away as I attended a boarding school all through high school. Coupled with the fact that I really had no experience living my dad, so I didn't know what to expect. In my head, going away for school seemed like the best idea. Also, I had cousins that schooled far way in New York, Connecticut and Texas while their family lived in Illinois. Their experiences as I gathered about living away from home helped aid their independence and maturity.

    I always tell people that not for once do I regret starting off at a community college. It has indeed shaped the person I am becoming and I have met people along the way who have influenced my life positively. Still, I wonder if I would have been the same student I am today if I started off as a Freshman at the U of I.The University does a good job helping one transfer in. Certainly, living in a transfer cluster where everyone came from different schools made it easy to make friends and find resources. Although I never took the LAS 102 transfer class, I have heard that it is a great way to find resources.

    I would say that I certainly have found relevant experience. Sometimes, I wonder though if recruiters judge for starting off at a community college or they are just curious. In fact, that has been a common conversation in couple interviews I have heard. They are interested in knowing everything how I transitioned and picked U of I. In terms of income risk, I have that your first job doesn't have to be perfect. I actually do agree with that. In fact, I am very keen on personal and professional development.

    To specifically answer your question about the income risk and how it ties to decisions students are making now. Personally, I started the job search early because I have noticed that there is a better chance to get a good job early on, that is this period The pressure is not as much on companies and students, and I believe that there are numerous openings available at the beginning of Fall recruiting season. I have heard that the jobs available in the Spring are limited as companies have already filled out their openings. At that point, students really do not have much of a bargaining power especially if they are graduating in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although not the main factor in my decision to come here, I too liked the idea of going to a school far away from home to sort of "get away". My close family friend, who I consider to be a cousin, went the the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor for his college education, so I also looked after him as a role model to guide me to going to a school far from our home in New Jersey. I believe that this type of experience is critical in forming who we are as adults because we really learn to take care of ourselves independently.

    It's very commendable that you went to community college first and then transferred here. I thought about doing that too but I felt that my grades might not be good enough to transfer to a school that I would've wanted, and I didn't want to risk the opportunity cost. So congratulations on making that happen! I feel that you've transitioned really well into a bigger school because you're so active on campus, so in lesser time than others, you've been making more of a difference.

    I also enjoy that being an economics major teaches you to become a creative, analytical, and critical thinker. Economics is a broad subject and I also chose it because of the flexibility in career choice that it gives you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conflict in Student Organization

IlliniBucks

Connecting the dots of previous posts